The Bravest Man in the Universe

 photo 94f7d1b9-424d-40b1-b009-2d5994cfc5e3_zps7d9f263c.jpg

I always dread it when a conversation turns to music. Don't get me wrong, I love music - new bands, old favourites, a lot of electronic stuff - I'm just no good at talking about it and have a terrible memory for song titles, lyrics and bands. Never try to persuade me to join a pub quiz. We will loose. So writing about music is WAY out of my comfort zone. But I'm going to try because I want to share my most listened to album of the last few months. The Bravest Man in the Universe by Bobby Womack. Matt bought it on a whim and almost immediately regretted it, so the album sat in its cellophane on our dining room table waiting to be returned for a month before we decided to give it a listen on a long car journey. It's been on repeat ever since. It is a stunning album; soulful, melancholic, uplifting. Perfect to drive to. Produced by Damon Albarn and Richard Russell it reminds me of Gil Scott-Heron and Jamie XX's We're New Here (another favourite of mine). Womack's weathered voice sits beautifully upon Albarn and Russell's minimal electronic beats, a skillful mix of old and new. The album is full of remorse, an apology for a life lived to the fullest, a gravelly out-pouring set against a very modern sound scape. One track features the faux-60s ethereal voice of Lana Del Ray, another Fatoumata Diawara (whoever she is). I'm not sure what else to say, as I mentioned, I am way out my comfort zone, but it is everything I like. If you listened to Massive attack and Portishead as a teen, went to see Primal Scream's recent Screamadelica tour or own any XX then you should listen too.

PS Sorry for the lack of posts this week. We're trying to wean Elizabeth off her night feeds. It's not going well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...